Updated: 02/07/2019 10:50 AM | First Published: 02/06/2019 12:43 PM

The Downfall of Kevin Spacey | Where is he Now?

Oscar award winning actor Kevin Spacey  smiles as he looks away from the camera

Harvey Weinstein and the accusations surrounding the infamous producer started a snowball effect in Hollywood. What started out as a series of reports from The New York Times quickly turned into a massive international campaign aimed at exposing sexual abuse and harassment in the workplace.

One of the biggest stories from the aftermath of The Weinstein Effect came in the form of allegations from Star Trek actor Anthony Rapp, 47. In an interview with Buzzfeed in October 2017, Rapp claimed that veteran actor Kevin Spacey made sexual advances towards him when he was just 14 years old.

Anthony Rapp at the premiere of Star Trek

Spacey was 26 years old at the time of the incident. According to Rapp, during a party at Spacey’s apartment, an inebriated Spacey carried him to his bed and tried to force himself on him. By November, 15 separate alleged victims had come forth with allegations towards spacey. Most of these were men.

The consequences of this were naturally severe. The 59 years old actor axed from Netflix’s House Of Cards. Netflix also canceled Spacey’s upcoming film Gore which was based on the life of writer Gore Vidal. He was also removed from All the Money in the World, a film which had already been shot. Following the explosive nature of the allegations against him, Spacey disappeared from the media. His representative claimed that he was seeking therapy and professional help.

Anthony Rapp says Kevin Spacey made a sexual advance towards him when he was 14

Releasing an apology statement

On October 30th, 2017, Spacey released an official statement on his social media platforms regarding Rapp’s allegations. In the statement, Spacey expressed his admiration of Rapp as an actor. He went on to claim that he was horrified to hear the story and that he had no recollection of the events since it happened over 30 years ago.

Screen Shot of Kevin Spacey's apology statement

Spacey also claimed that if he had indeed acted the way he did, he owed Rapp his sincere apology for inappropriate drunken behavior. The American Beauty actor used this statement to come out as gay and said that he would examine his own behavior.

The statement did little to calm the outrage that would follow as thousands and thousands of people bombed his social media accounts, rebuking him for coming out as gay as a way to distract from the real issue. After the statement, Spacey went on a total media blackout, avoiding interviews, announcements and even day to day life.

List of Hollywood Stars who have won Tony Awards

Kevin Spacey specking with a reporter

By January 2018, police in London were investigating three separate allegations of sexual assault against Kevin Spacey. In April 2018, sexual assault accusations against him dating back to 1992 were unearthed. The incident supposedly took place in West Hollywood.

In September 2018, an accusation of sexual assault was not processed by The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office because the incident was outside California’s statute of limitations. On December 24, he was charged with sexually assaulting a teenager at a bar in Massachusetts. The incident took place in 2016.

Billionaire Boys Club

Cover of Billionaire Boys Club

In 2015, Spacey had acted in Billionaire Boys Club, a film based on the real-life story of a group of rich teenagers from Southern California that got involved in a Ponzi scheme. The film was released on July 19,  2018, by which point Spacey’s reputation had already taken a nosedive.

It opened with an embarrassing $618 in the domestic opening weekend box office. The spectacular box office bomb was the lowest earning film in Spacey’s career. The film had a budget of $15 million and made just $2.2 million in the global box office. Reviewers called the film a boring, underwhelming product. Regardless, some credited Spacey’s acting as being the only thing that stood out.

Predicting The Biggest Box Office Flop of 2019

Let me be Frank

More than a few eyebrows rose when Spacey released an extremely bizarre clip on his social media. After disappearing from the public eye for over a year, he published an eerie video where he seemingly denied the allegations against him. Spacey appeared to be in his House Of Cards persona, Frank Underwood. 

The video, titled Let me be Frank is 3 minutes long and Spacey claims that since he did not pay for the crimes he did do, he definitely wasn’t going to pay for the things he didn’t do. The video has garnered 10 million views on YouTube.

Kevin Spacey's Court Appearance

Kevin Spacey made his first public appearance on January 7th, 2019 at a court to face charges of indecent assault and battery. He had initially requested that he be allowed not to attend the ruling. That plea was denied, and he showed up in court. He was silent during his court appearance. The judge ordered him to stay away from the victim and the victim's family. A proper ruling will be made on March 4th.

This is not a ruling, however, for which he will have to show up. If he is found guilty, Spacey could face up to five years in prison. After his brief public appearance, Spacey has once again remained radio silent. He is not involved in any projects, and it is unlikely he will anytime soon. At any rate, it is safe to assume that the next we will hear from Spacey will be on March 4th. With a long history of alleged sexual misconduct, Spacey’s professional career has come to a screeching halt and will likely remain so.

The actor has won two Academy Awards and has been nominated multiple times. Caught up in an era of #metoo and #timesup movement, Spacey and other individuals who have had allegations surface against them will face justice eventually.

10 Most Inspiring Weight Transformations of Celebrities