Downton Abbey premiered in 2010 and ended in 2016 after running for six successful seasons, making it one of the greatest English drama series of all time. The period drama, which followed the lives of the aristocratic Crawley family, launched the careers of several young actors. After more than 2 years of show’s end, on 13 July 2018, the producers gave Crawley family fans a sigh of relief when they confirmed that a feature-length film is under production. The original principal cast began production in September and have recently completed the filming.
While you are happy after getting the news of the movie, you may be disappointed to learn that not every character from the series has headed back to Highclere Castle. Today we bring you a list of actors who will and will not appear in the movie.
Lily James (Lady Rose MacClare)
Lily, joined the show as a recurring cast in season 3 was a series regular in season 4 and 5 and had just guest appearances in season 6, won’t be reprising her role as Lady Rose MacClare. She said,
“I'm sadly not, but I'm so excited for it -- I'm going to be front row. My character Rose moved off to New York, so it would be farfetched to bring her back. I would have loved to have come back for a scene, but for a movie it can't be like a Christmas special and it needs to be a focused storyline. There was no space for Rose.”
She appeared in a 2018 musical film, The Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again, and is set to appear in an untitled Danny Boyle/Richard Curtis film in 2019.
Ed Speleers (Jimmy Kent)
Ed Speleers, who appeared as Jimmy Kent for three seasons will not return in the movie. He said on Sunday Brunch,
“I didn't get the call, unfortunately. To be fair, I'm doing Rain Man so I wasn't able to do it. I don't think it would be right for my character to come back anyway.”
Ed is currently doing the UK tour of drama Rain Man with Mathew Horne and recently landed a role of Stephen Bonnet in the fourth season of Outlander.
- Hugh Bonneville as Robert Crawley, 7th Earl of Grantham
- Laura Carmichael as Edith Pelham, Marchioness of Hexham
- Jim Carter as Charles Carson
- Raquel Cassidy as Phyllis Baxter
- Brendan Coyle as John Bates
- Michelle Dockery as Lady Mary Talbot
- Kevin Doyle as Joseph Moseley
- Joanne Froggatt as Anna Bates
- Matthew Goode as Henry Talbot
- Rob James-Collier as Thomas Barrow
- Allen Leech as Thomas Branson
- Phyllis Logan as Elsie Hughes
- Elizabeth McGovern as Cora Crawley, Countess of Grantham
- Sophie McShera as Daisy Mason
- Lesley Nicol as Beryl Patmore
- Maggie Smith as Violet Crawley, Dowager Countess of Grantham
- Penelope Wilton as Isobel Grey, Baroness Merton
Till now, Lily James and Ed Speleers are the only two actors who have publicly confirmed that they are not reprising their roles in the movie. However, it not clear whether or not other actors like Matthew Goode, Lesley Nicol, Jim Carter, Sophie McShera will return for the big-screen adventure.
- Geraldine James as Mary of Teck
- Kate Phillips as Mary, Princess Royal and Countess of Harewood
- Douglas Reith as Lord Merton
- Max Brown
- Imelda Staunton
- Tuppence Middleton
- Stephen Campbell Moore
- David Haig
- Simon Jones
The long-awaited movie is set to be released in the UK on September 13, 2019 and in the US release on September 20.
Downton Abbey star Ed Speleers won't be returning for the film
Downton Abbey Movie Cast: Who's In and Who's Out?